Video chad18 - Dating mullard valves
The valves (vacuum tubes) produced in this period were named with the prefix PM, for Philips-Mullard, beginning with the PM3 and PM4 in 1926.
The emergence of the transistor saw the demise of the valve but Mullard's diversified and moved into production of television tubes and components.
With the boom in ownership of televisions the factory in Blackburn went from strength to strength.
In 1951 Mullard was producing the LSD series of photographic flash tubes.
Mullard had factories in Southport and Simonstone, near Padiham both in Lancashire. There was also a sister factory at Belmont in Durham (closed in June 2005).
Four years later and wanting to expand as the valve demand continued to grow Captain Mullard sold half his shares to NV Philips Gloeilampenfabriken of Eindhoven in the Netherlands.
Mullard actually sold all of his shares to Philips in 1927 but the Dutch firm continued to use the brand name Mullard in the UK until 1988.
Over the years the huge 64-acre site in Whitebirk was known as Mullard, Phillips, LG Phillips, and latterly BMS.
Initially in 1920 Captain Stanley R Mullard set up the Mullard Radio Valve Company Limited.
EDC is another firm that has felt the impact of changing technology and the factory will close at the end of the year.Tags: Adult Dating, affair dating, sex dating